Instructions to be followed for the SMI- online exam 2021
The final exam will be a written test that lasts between one hour and one hour and half.
During the exam you must stay in the Zoom room of the corresponding course.
The exam questions will be sent via the Zoom chat and will also be upload on Moodle.
Devices needed to sit the exam: either laptop or smartphone or tablet in order to:
1) Connect to Zoom
2) Either scan or take a picture of your answers. You may download an app to scan documents onyour smartphone (e.g., the Genius Scan app, which works for both the Android and IOS operating systems)
3) If you prefer to write on a tablet, make sure that you are able to produce a pdf to send to the instructor.
Before the written test:
1. Collect blank paper sheets and write your name and e-mail (the one you use for SMI) on each of them (on both sides/pages).
2. Download an app to scan documents on your smartphone (e.g., the Genius Scan app, which works for both the Android and IOS operating systems) or an app to transform in PDF a text written on the tablet
During the written test:
1. Connect to the ZOOM-room of the course 5 minutes before the time of the exam.
2. If requested by the instructor, switch on the camera and the microphone.
3. The exam starts when the instructor shares the exam questions by up-loading them on the Zoom chat (immediately after on Moodle).
4. if you have a connection problem and you are not able to receive the exam questions, please notify the instructor as soon as possible, so they may send you the exam by e-mail.
5. Write the solution of each exercise only on one sheet.
6. At the end of the test, the answers should be sent AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE (maximum 15 minutes) in the following way:
Complex Analysis: by e-mail to email@example.com (in the subject line of the email please write SMI CA-Final)
Differential Geometry: by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject line of the email please write SMI DG-Final)
Functional Analysis: either by e-mail to email@example.com (in the subject line of the email please write SMI FA-Final) or by Moodle.
Mathematical Statistics: through Gradescope https://www.gradescope.com/
Numerical Analysis: by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject line of the email please write SMI NA-Final)
Algebraic Geometry: by e-mail to email@example.com (in the subject line of the email please write SMI AG-Final)
10. After the email with your answers attached is received, you will in turn receive written confirmation via email that the attachment has been delivered successfully; any additional document sent after this written confirmation will be ignored; for your own interest, do not leave the room until you receive this written confirmation
Tips for a good-quality scan:
1. Use a black pen during the exam.
2. Better to send a pdf than a photo.
3. Make sure the scanned document does not exceed 2 MB (approximately), i.e., do not set the quality at its absolute maximum: medium or large quality is sufficient and is likely not to exceed the prescribed 2 MB (approximately).
4. Finally, note that it is in your best interest to send a good-quality, readable document